FIRST DAY!

There was EXCITEMENT in the air! Today was our first day back to school for the 2020-2021 school year.  AND it was our first day back IN PERSON since mid-MARCH!  (insert happy dance here!) Students were introduced to some of our routines yesterday during our one on one orientation times, so they knew that once they arrived in class, they would wash their hands. After that, I wanted to take an individual first day picture. With a lot of space outdoors, I asked each student to remove their mask for a quick minute. I had prepared “First Day of K” signs…one for each student to hold.

After a Zoom Welcome Meeting with Dr. Surber, we dove right into fine motor building playdoh activities. The children loved exploring all the new tools they received.

With the new layout of the classroom, it was important to me that students immediately were introduced to ways they could use the space around them to move and stretch during learning times. We practiced standing in our desk area, sitting on the carpet in front of our desk, laying on our tummies under our desk, and sitting in our desk chair. I read aloud the story “The Line Rhyme” by Alisha Gabriel about routines, and we made a list of all the routines in our classroom. We marked off the routines that we have already learned and practiced. (Our hand washing discussion happened yesterday and today….I forgot to mark it!)

Next, students were introduced to one of my favorite fine motor building activities…pokey pins! Students were all given a large push pin. After discussing how to carefully use a push pin, students were invited to sit on the floor by their desks and start poking polka dots on their paper. I mentioned that students would see something magical after they poked all the polka dots!

They were thrilled to see the sunlight streaming through the poked holes!

After snack and recess, we came back to class to start our kindergarten portfolio. Students will complete a series of activities each month in their portfolios and will have a wonderful collection of activities that show their growth from September to June! Today’s writing prompt asked students how they felt on the first day of school.

Kindergarteners also shared their summer treasure boxes. We placed each one under the document camera and projected their three special summer items onto the Smart Board. They loved seeing their treasures on “the big tv!” Finally, we enjoyed both Art class and Spanish class today. Would you believe that we were only at school for half the day?! What a bunch of happy worker bees I have this year! As one student said on her way out the door, “The worst part of the day is leaving school!” Sounds like we had a pretty successful day!