Pumpkin Day 2022!

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! Well, that’s what we did three years ago when the COVID pandemic canceled field trips! I wanted students to still experience some of the “normalcy” of kindergarten, so I created a pumpkin patch on campus and turned the event into a full day of pumpkin-themed learning! I immediately knew that this change was one that I would love to continue in future years.

Today was Pumpkin Day 2022! When the students arrived, I showed them a quick time-lapse video on the life cycle of a pumpkin. They recorded the life cycle in a pumpkin-shaped book we had prepared for them.

Nest, we headed to the backyard to the pumpkin patch!

We then headed inside to begin our math and literacy activities. There were four rotations that included a rhyming activity, measuring the height and circumference of the pumpkins, and a listening station.

As the day went on, we surveyed and graphed how we best like to eat pumpkins: pie, seeds, or bread. Pumpkin pie was the majority vote! The day ended with a simple experiment to discover if pumpkins sink or float. The majority of students predicted that pumpkins would sink. Watch their reactions!!!

What a fun day of learning! The children were thrilled to bring home their special pumpkins at the end of the day!