Ty Warner Sea Center

sea

On Tuesday, the kindergarteners went on a field trip to the Ty Warner Sea Center. What an amazing trip it was! We had the WHOLE sea center to ourselves! I divided the students into two small groups and we began the tour in two different spots.

My group started at the shark and ray exhibit, where the students got to touch a swell shark, a ray, and a sea star.

sea2

sea3

This young swell shark was new to the tank and very interested in us! She kept coming to the surface to investigate!

sc4

Next, we looked at the shark eggs. Each student got to hold a “mermaid’s purse.”

sea1

sea4

Look closely! Do you see the baby swell shark inside?

Next, we went to the touch tanks, where students touched urchins, sea cucumbers, crabs, and anemones.

sea5

sc2

sc5

sc3

We then headed out to the “Wet Deck,” where the students had a chance to lower a net into the ocean below. They also took sand and water samples.

deck

Miss Horibe’s group had a mussel in their net, while my group’s net came up empty. But, there was plenty to see in the sand sample!

After a visit to the Jelly Exhibit, we had a chance to learn more about mammals, specifically dolphins, sea otters, and whales. This was particularly exciting because some of the students have done their research project on these animals, and they had a chance to share their new knowledge with the docent!

sea6

This orca’s tooth is so much bigger than ours!

We all had a great time. I was impressed with all the information the students shared with the docents and peers. Sharing their knowledge in the field is exactly the reason why we take field trips! I can’t wait for our trip to the Hollister Ranch tide pools in April!