Friday Fun with the Sense of Hearing

The Kindergartners enjoyed our first Friday Fun of the year today. We had three craft rotations and a fun story to listen to at Listening Center. Two of the three craft activities focused on the sense of hearing, since we are currently studying the Five Senses.

Students made a rain stick in my center. First they colored the outside of their tube. Next, they folded cardboard into triangles. After rubber-banding foam pieces to one end, I added a 1/4 cup of plastic beads to each tube. Then I added a second foam piece to the other end. The result is a beautiful, calming rain stick. (Maybe we can call the rain with them!)

photo

Coloring the rain stick tubes.

photo (2)

photo (6)

Folding the cardboard triangles.

The students also worked to create a drum! They colored the outside of the drum, and then we added a piece of foam to the top. I plan on having the students use these “sense of hearing” crafts during our Tecolote Tuesday performance on October 7, when we share what we learned about the Five Senses with the rest of the Lower School.

photo (4)

Mr. Surber joined us as the leader of our third craft rotation, where students created a “getting to know you” necklace.

photo (3)

Here is the key:

Doc1

We had such a great time this Friday….we can’t wait for next Friday!