Storytelling vs. Writing Stories

Michael Katz wows the kindergarteners and first graders.

We were lucky to have the fantastic Michael Katz on campus today. Mr. Katz is an unbelievable storyteller. Without using any props, he engages students in several stories over a period of 45 minutes. Mr. Katz usually retells stories that use repetition and always includes the children. They are given certain body movements to use with story, which allows the children to move around while remaining focused. I was impressed with the students’ ability to remain engaged while Mr. Katz told three, hilarious stories.

Mr. Katz tells a story about talking eggs.

Later, we discussed Mr. Katz’s job as a storyteller. Then I posed the question, “What does an author do?” Here is what the students said:

what is a writer

Next, I read a book called, What Authors Do. The book outlined all the different parts to writing a book, from brainstorming ideas, to editing, to publishing. I then guided the students through the process using my own summer experience as an example. I modeled how to use “best guess” spelling and reminded the students that all they need to do is try their best at listening to the sounds.

what is a writer 2

Here is my example.

Students returned to their desks and got to work. Our first Writer’s Workshop was a success!

ww haydenww fiona

One thought on “Storytelling vs. Writing Stories